Registration - How it Works?
To participate in experiments conducted by researchers at the Toronto Experimental Economics Lab (TEEL) you must first register online. As part of the registration process you will be asked to provide basic contact information (your name, email address and an optional current telephone number). If you are a student you will also be asked to provide your major field of study and the year you started your post-secondary studies; if you are not a student you will be asked to provide your occupation. Finally, you will be asked to indicate the type of experiments for which you want to receive invitations (laboratory-based experiments and/or web-based experiments and online surveys).
You have to register one time only. After you have registered, the system will send you a confirmation email - simply click on the link contained in that email to activate your account. It's very simple. Please make sure to add firstname.lastname@example.org as a safe sender in your e-mail program or site and check your spam or junk folder if you have not received the confirmation email.
You can create only one account. If you create more than a single account - one or both accounts will be deleted from the system and you may not be able to participate in any of the experiments. If you have lost your account information, just send us an email and we will reply with your account information.
We conduct real research at TEEL, but we try to design our experiments and surveys to be fun for participants. Many participants have told us that they enjoy participating and find what we do here to be interesting. Most participants come back and participate in several different experiments. So please tell your friends, family, classmates and colleagues about us. We are always looking for more people to register and participate in our experiments.
Participating in an Experiment: What Happens After I Register?
Registration is the first step to participating in an experiment. Once you are in our registration database, signing up for experiments is easy.
- When we open a new experiment for registration, we send out e-mail invitations to some or all potential participants.
- Once you have received an invitation and if you wish to participate in the experiment, please sign up for one session by following the link included in your invitation email.
- We usually run several different sessions of the same experiment, so there are often multiple times and dates from which you can choose. Sign up for only a SINGLE session, as you can participate in an experiment only once. By signing up for a session, you commit to participate in that specific session.
- If you cannot participate in one of the sessions listed in your invitation, don't sign up for any of them - you might still be able to participate in future sessions which we may add for that experiment. If you haven't registered for a session, you may get additional invitations to these new sessions.
- Important Note: Once you sign-up for an experiment, you cannot later change your registration on the recruitment system, so please verify that you are actually able to come before you respond.
- To ensure that we have enough participants for each session, we sometimes invite more people than are required. If you arrive on time but we cannot accommodate your participation in the experiment, you will be paid a show-up payment.
- Participation in our experiments is normally rewarded in cash. Payment includes the show-up payment as well as whatever earnings you accrue during the experiment. The amount you earn will depend on your decisions during the experiment and, often, the decisions made by other participants during the session and possibly a random component.
- It is important that you arrive on time to the session you signed up for. Otherwise, the entire session may be delayed or cancelled. This is unfair to the other participants.
- Please bring your TCard or alternative ID (if you are not a student) to the experiment.
- Upon arrival, before participating in an experiment, you will be asked to sign a consent form in person. If you arrive on time, but do not consent to participate in the experiment, you will not be eligible for the show-up payment. You can decide to participate in other experiments you will be invited to.
- We often run several different experiments concurrently. We may invite you to participate in these other experiments. You may be able to participate in many different experiments if you want.
- You cannot sign yourself up for an experiment - you must be invited by us to participate and then you can choose to register for one of the sessions.
- Important Note: After the scheduled start time, anyone who registered for an experiment (that is, was invited and confirmed his participation in a specific session) but did not show up will not receive any compensation for that experiment. We track the number of "no-shows" for each participants and reserve the right to exclude from ORSEE participates who regularly do not show up to an experiment after they have registered for them.
- And don't forget to tell others about us! We are always looking for more people to register and participate in the experiments and surveys we run here at the Toronto Experimental Economics Lab.